It's hard to believe that only two decades ago, vape shops and e-cigarettes had yet to be introduced to the general public! Today, you can walk into most smoke shops and see a wide variety of dry herb vaporizers, including everything from medically legal cannabis in states that allow for medical or general use of this herb, to e-cigs and mech mods. Some of these vape designs have become so popular that bootleg products are being produced by individuals in Asia who want to cash in on the hype being generated by the vape industry.
While vaping is now becoming increasingly mainstream, there is still quite a bit of ground to cover before the desktop herb vaporizer gains the popularity and recognition of portable pocket vaporizers, to standard cartridge electronic cigarettes that rely on e-juice or e-liquid. Those who are new to the world of e-cigarettes and vaporizers are likely unaware of the wide collection of products that are now considered to be the most influential models in the vaping industry. We've created this brief guide to introduce these key products to both new vaping enthusiasts as well as experienced vaporizer users.
The BC Vaporizer is generally considered to be the first modern, mass-produced vaporizer. It was invented in the 1990s in British Columbia, and can still be purchased today. Due to its age, this design is one of the most frequently duplicated by counterfeiters and bootleggers.
This vaporizer has a dome made of glass. Inside of the dome is a plate fabricated out of metal. An herbal blend is placed into the plate before being heated by a heating element, ultimately leading to vaporization.
- Benefits: One of the most appealing elements of the BC Vaporizer is its price, which makes it a popular choice for sales at smoke shops.
- Drawbacks: The BC Vaporizer's temperature regulator has frequently been criticized for not being reliable, which can result in the combustion of herbs or poor vaporization.
The Volcano Vaporizer by Storz and Bickel is commonly credited with first popularizing vaping in communities around the world. This is largely due to the fact that it was capable of producing far superior results for many users relative to the earlier BC Vaporizer. The Volcano Vaporizer has also benefited from attention and placements in feature films and music videos.
The Volcano Vaporizer is shaped like a chemistry flask, featuring four feet supports. Its silhouette resembles the shape of a volcano, helping to give this device its name. Inside of the vaporizer is a heating chamber where dry herbal blends are placed. When the vaporizer is switched on, a fan located inside the device allows air to circulate through the heating chamber, providing the necessary vaporization. The vapor is captured by a food-grade plastic bag for inhalation.
- Benefits: The Volcano Vaporizer is very easy to use, making it a popular choice for individuals who are looking for a hassle-free way to vape.
- Drawbacks: The size of the device and its price have been the biggest downsides of the Volcano Vaporizer since its arrival on the market.
The Hot Box Vaporizer builds off the technology used in the Volcano Vaporizer. This device has been produced in a variety of styles over many years. While the first iterations of this product were simple wooden boxes, manufacturers now produce clever designs for this particular product. Check out the Hot Box Vaporizer here.
The Hot Box vaporizer works in similar fashion to the Volcano model. That being said, it requires the use of a smoking accessory referred to as a whip. This three-piece tool consists of a glass wand that contains the herbs, tubing and mouthpiece. The wand is placed inside of the box and is heated by air that circulates inside. Vapor is then drawn through the
tubing and the mouthpiece.
- Benefits: Like the Volcano, the HotBox vaporizer design is quite simple to use, but is typically much less expensive.
- Drawbacks: The biggest drawback with the box vaporizer is its lack of portability. The quality of these vaporizers can vary greatly depending on the manufacturer and the model.
Combination vaporizers, such as Haze Vaporizer are designed for those seeking a more versatile option for their vaping needs.
Combination vaporizers vary largely in terms of their appearance. That being said, they provide users with the ability to either fill a bag or use a whip during vaping.
- Benefits: Vape shops will often recommend combination vaporizers for beginners who have yet to developed a strong preference for either a direct draw / whip system or the use of a bag.
- Drawbacks: Quality and reliability of combination vaporizers can vary from product to product. These vaporizers are usually not portable.
As more people became interested in vaping, manufacturers have begun to explore new methods for manufacturing vaporizers that are less intimidating for those who may have extensive experience with traditional cigarettes.This led to the design of the traditional vaporizer, which has the feel of a pipe but the functionality of a vaporizer.
With a traditional vaporizer, herbs are placed into the bowl of a pipe-like object, which is then heated with a lighter to produce vapor. Some models rely on direct heat, while others use a filter produced from ceramics or other materials to help prevent the herbs from combustion during use.
- Benefits: The traditional vaporizer is very inexpensive. It does not require a power supply, and is completely portable.
- Drawbacks: Operating errors are common after beginners choose vaporizer and begin to operate any of the vaporizers. However, once one gets past the initial learning curve, using these vaporizers is relatively straightforward.
Today, you can find examples of each of these vaporizer styles in smoke shops. We recommend that you consider all options carefully to decide which type fits your needs best. If you require assistance, please don't hesitate to contact our team for help. We look forward to the opportunity to assist you with your purchase!