Many people begin vaping with a basic ecigarette to find out if they like the experience of using a vape. Once they've seen how much better electronic cigarettes are than smoking, they're eager to enhance their experience. Investing in the best vape mod can help you to get more from your vaping, but there is another way that people are able to make vaping more enjoyable--steeping! Read on to learn more about what steeping is and how it's done.
Steeping in a Nutshell
Steeping is the process of allowing e-liquid to age prior to use. The purpose of steeping is to make the flavors of e-juice more pronounced, so that the vapor produced by an e-cig or mech mod is much more pleasing. All e-liquids are made from a blend of ingredients, including the flavorings, the propylene glycol, the vegetable glycerin base, and nicotine. Allowing the e-juice to age can help these ingredients mix together better, similar to how letting fine red wine breathe makes it more flavorful. Steeping can also reduce throat hits, which can make it more comfortable for people who prefer a gentler vape.
The Conventional Way to Steep
In order to steep e-juice the traditional way, do the following:
- Place your e-liquid in a cool, dark place like in a kitchen cupboard.
- Let it sit without the lid for half of the day.
- Shake the e-juice well and then replace the lid, letting it sit for the rest of the day in a cool, dark place.
- Continue this process for the recommended number of days based on the type of e-liquid as follows:
- Dessert Flavors. Dessert flavors typically have very complex ingredient mixes, so they benefit from longer steeping periods, usually of 2 to 4 weeks.
- Fruits and Menthols. Most fruit and menthol e-juice varieties have simpler blends and reach optimal age within 1 to 2 weeks. Blended flavors like pina colada or fruit punch will normally need the full 2 weeks to reach optimal flavoring.
- Tobacco. Tobacco flavors tend to feature many notes, which are best enhanced by 2 to 4 weeks of steeping.
Speeding Up the Process
If you don't want to wait weeks to enjoy your e-juice, you can accelerate steeping with various methods, including:
- Stirring. Using a magnetic stirrer similar to the ones used in chemistry labs can help mix flavors more thoroughly for faster steeping.
- Ultrasonic Cleaners. There are some reports that placing a container of e-juice in an ultrasonic cleaner can steep it quickly; however, the equipment is expensive and results seem to vary.
- Water Baths. Heat water to a comfortable, lukewarm temperature and add a bottle of e-juice sealed in a plastic bag for 10 to 15 minutes. Test the e-juice in your electronic cigarette. Repeat as needed until you reach optimal flavoring.
- Rice Heating. Put 1 cup of uncooked rice in a microwave safe bowl and heat it up. Place your e-juice bottle in the rice and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Test the e-juice and repeat until you've reached optimal flavoring.
- Dryer Steeping. This one can result in broken bottles, so it's generally not the best method; however, some vapers swear by it. The method involves putting a bottle of e-liquid in a sock, tying it closed and then putting it in the dryer on low heat for 15 minutes.
Of course, steeping can only enhance vaping so much. You still need to use high quality ecigarettes or mechanical mods to have a pleasing vape experience. For help selecting the best vape pen mods or electronic cigarettes, contact our team at VaporPlants.com.