There is a lot of confusion in regards to how a vape pen and an e-cig are different from one another. Basically, an electronic cigarette is an oil vaporizer pen that is used for vaping fluids called e-juice or e-liquid. These fluids often contain nicotine and are used as replacements for tobacco cigarettes. A true oil vaporizer pen can be used to vape essential oils as well as e juice or e liquid.
Vaporizer pens can be used to inhale a number of different materials. Often, people call vaporizer pens by names that indicate what they are used to vape. The three main types include:
- Oil vaporizer pen, which is also called an oil pen or oil vape pen. This type of vaporizer is made to hold liquid oils, such as essential oils made from botanical herbs, and electronic cigarette fluid, called e juice or e liquid. E juice oils are offered in many different flavors. Some contain nicotine and can be used in place of tobacco cigarettes.
- Wax vaporizer pen, which is also called a wax pen or a wax vape pen. This type of vaporizer is made to hold thicker oils that have a waxy consistency.
- Dry herb vaporizer pen, which is also called an herb or herbal vape pen. This type of vaporizer is made to hold dry herbs. Most often, vaporizer pens are used to vaporize herbs, but some people utilize them for vaping dry tobacco leaves, as an alternative to smoking or dry botanical herbs for aromatherapy.
If you're purchasing your first vaporizer pen, you're likely to have questions about how to use it, and it can be hard to know where to turn to find answers.
Nearly all vaporizer pen batteries need to be charged before you can use them the first time. When you unbox your vaporizer pen, attach it to the charger provided by the manufacturer and plug it in. Most often, you'll use the USB port on your computer or a USB wall adapter if you have one to charge, but some models do come with a vape charger that plug into wall outlets. It may take a few hours for the battery to charge all the way. Be patient. You want it to be fully charged the first time you use it.
It's important that you only use the charger made for your vape pen to charge it. Some vape pen batteries will fit into chargers for pens made by other brands; however, there's no guarantee that an off-brand charger will safely charge your vape pen battery. Don't risk the life of your vape battery!
While you're waiting for your vaporizer pen battery to charge, read the instruction manual from cover to cover. The instructions will tell you the specific way that you should use your vape pen, and how to care for and clean it to keep it working smoothly use after use. Make sure that you look for information on how often you need to do things like replace the coils, atomizer, or cartomizer.
Before you load up your new herbal vaporizer pen, assemble it and turn the unit on using the method described by the manufacturer. If it has variable heat setting options, set it to the highest temperature. If not, just leave it on for 30 to 60 seconds. This will help to burn off any residues that were left behind during the manufacturing process to give you a purer vape.
You'll need to consult the instruction manual to get the specific directions for how to use your vaporizer pen. Generally, though, a vaporizer for wax will require you to dab your material either onto the heating element or onto its wick, and oily concentrates will be poured into a vape tank. If you have a dry herb vaporizer, make sure you grind your herbs finely unless the manufacturer gives you other instructions. Your material will then be loaded into a chamber in most cases. Don't pack it too tightly unless otherwise instructed.
Go ahead and draw from your vaporizer pen using the method the manufacturer recommends. You may simply need to put the mouthpiece to your lips and breathe in, or you may need to push or hold down a button. When you pull your mouth away from the mouthpiece, take in a little air with the vapor, and then hold the vapor in your lungs for a few seconds before breathing out.
If you have a wax vaporizer, the high from vaping can be intense, so it's best to start slow. Just do one or two draws and wait for the effects before progressing. You can always go back for another draw if you need to, but you can't take back a draw!
If you have more questions about how to use a vape pen, we're here to help! Contact the customer service team here at VaporPlants.com for answers to general questions or for specific advice about a particular wax or herbal vaporizer pen.
Hoping to move from smoking tobacco cigarettes to vaping nicotine e juice, so you can decrease your exposure to toxins and enjoy tasty flavors? You're about to be introduced to a whole new world of terminology, which can be overwhelming to many beginners. But not to worry, this guide will help you decide the best way for you to begin vaping, and introduce you to three main types of devices used for inhaling eliquid vapors.
"Electronic cigarette" or "ecig" is one of the most confusing terms in the world of vaping. Many places that advertise vapes for sale refer to any device used for vaping e liquids as electronic cigarettes, so technically you can call vape pens and authentic mechanical mods ecigarettes as well.
Still, the term ecigarette more correctly refers to a type of disposable alternative to tobacco cigarettes. True e cigarettes come pre-filled with liquid and are simple, longone-piece cylinders. When you take a draw, the battery turns on, heating up the e liquid inside and producing vapor for you to inhale. When the liquid inside is fully vaporized, you throw the electronic cigarette away and use a new one.
Who ecigs are best for: Electronic cigarettes are a good way for beginners to try vaping for the first time. They're a fraction of the price of the best vape mods and vaporizer pens, so they don't require a big investment upfront. A small number of experienced vapor enthusiasts may choose to use ecigs over vape pens and vape mods because they do not require maintenance and can make vaping cheaper.
- Benefits of an e cig: The main benefit of an ecig is that it doesn't cost much to purchase. They never need to be filled, charged, or cleaned. The compact size of electronic cigarettes makes them the most discreet option.
- Drawbacks of an e cig: As you'll see from reading e cigarette reviews, electronic cigarettes produce low quality vapor and usually only give you small vapor clouds. You're limited in terms of flavor options, and ecigs produce a lot of waste. They also may end up being more expensive in the long run as you must buy a new one frequently.
As the name suggests, the device is long and slender like a pen. There are many different types of vaporizer pens, including the dry herb vape pen, which is used with tobacco, and dried botanical herbs; the wax vape pen, which is used with herbal waxy concentrates; and the oil vape pen, which is used for essential oils and e juice. A vaporizer pen, vape pen, or vapor pen is a device that consists of three pieces: a rechargeable battery, a tank for holding e liquid, and a mouthpiece. The vape pen heats up the liquid when you push the button to turn the battery on, and the vapor then flows through the mouthpiece for you to inhale. Vaporizer pens are reusable, but you will need to replace portions of the heating element or the entire tank on a regular basis.
Who vape pens are best for: Vaporizer pens are ideal for people who are ready to commit to vaping and want to enjoy good quality vapor, yet still want a simple-to-use vaping solution.
- Benefits of a vape pen: Vaporizer pens are like a happy medium compared to a mod vape< and an ecig. They produce higher quality vapor and produce less waste than electronic cigarettes. You can fill them with e juice to suit your tastes, and they don't require any fuss for operation.
- Drawbacks of a vape pen: A vaporizer pen will cost you more upfront than an electronic cigarette. You also are limited in how much you can control your vaping experience when you use a vaping pen.
A mechanical mod, mech mod, or mods vape is a vaping device that has advanced features. Most allow you to set the voltage of the battery, which makes it possible to adjust the temperature of the heating element to produce more or less vapor. The batteries on vaping mods are usually larger and more powerful than what's found on other vapes for ejuice.
Who are mech mods best for: E cig mods or custom vape mods are best for experienced vaping enthusiasts who already know how vaporizer pens work, and are ready to improve their vaping experience with a more powerful, customizable unit.
- Benefits of mechanical mods: You truly can't beat the quality of the vapor produced with the best vape mod devices. Because vape pen mods are so customizable, you can better tailor your vaping experience to your exact needs, adjusting the temperature, thickness, flavor, and smoothness of the vapor by altering the voltage. The best vape mods typically offer longer battery lives than standard vaporizer pens, meaning you can vape for longer periods of time without recharging vape battery mods than you can a vaporizer pen.
- Drawbacks of mechanical mods: Ecig mods are the most expensive types of vaporizer pens and electronic cigarettes because they have more advanced features. A mechanical mod vape can also be complicated, as you need to learn about how the voltage affects the performance to set vaporizer mods optimally and get the best results. Another drawback is that a mech mod is usually larger than other devices, making it less discreet.
Still not sure whether an e-cigarette, a vape pen, or a vape mod is right for you? We'll be glad to help you decide. Here at VaporPlants.com, we have electronic cigarettes, vaporizer pens, and vape mods for sale and can help you choose the best e vape to meet your needs. Contact us for help selecting ecig, vaporizer pen, and vape mod kits.
First and foremost, you need to have a good knowledge base about batteries, since they provide the power for your vape mod to function. There are no true go-to's in terms of best batteries for vaping. Each type of battery is good for a certain set up, and while there are some brands that are preferable to others, it’s more important that you get batteries that suit the needs of your mod, as there is no one-size-fits-all vape battery.
Milliampere hours (mAh) and amperage, or amps, are two things to consider when choosing the best batteries for your rig. Milliampere hours measure the overall life of your battery, whereas amperage is how much current can be drawn from the battery at one time. Getting higher wattages, for instance, requires a higher current to be used. How much power you need behind your batteries all depends on your vaping style.
It’s important to understand that there is no one battery that is better than another; the best battery for you depends on the manner in which you plan to use them. Here is a brief run down:
Type A batteries sit at 3500mAh and are known as ultra-high capacity, boasting a long life due to drawing only minimal power. They are best suited for regulated mods that reach 30 watts or less, or mechanical mods that you will vape at 0.4 Ohms or higher.
Type B Batteries, or high capacity batteries, are 3000 mAh and give a low discharge rate of 15 amps. These are good for regulated mods between 30-40 watts, or unregulated mods that fire between 0.4 and 0.27 Ohms.
Type C Batteries are medium capacity batteries that have a rate of 2500 mAh, and should be used with regulated mods running between 40-60 watts. They can also be used in unregulated mods at 0.26 - 0.19 Ohms.
Type D Batteries are low capacity, and have a rate of 2500 mAh and a high discharge rate of 25 amps. Use these with regulated mods that fire between 60-120 watts, along with mechanical mods that are built for 0.18-0.15 ohms.
Finally, Type E Batteries are the lowest capacity, with 1500 mAh and an ultra-high disharge rate of 30 amps. This type of battery is used for the highest wattage devices. For regulated mods, this means watts over 120, and for unregulated mods that run at 0.14 - 0.12 ohms.
Currently there are no batteries made by reputable brands, which are rated higher than 30 amps. Therefore, be wary of re-wrapped batteries claiming a higher amperage. That said, there's no harm in using re-wrapped batteries as long as you know what they were originally intended for.
Another way to ensure the safety of your batteries is to consider whether they are protected or unprotected. The difference is simple: protected batteries possess a mechanism that helps prevent your ecig batteries from misfiring. Let's look at that a little more closely.
Protected batteries come with a little circuit board that can usually be found on the bottom of the cell which stops the battery from experiencing any number of the following: overheating, overcharging, over-discharging, and short circuiting. Protected batteries require chargers that are equipped to charge rechargeable lithium batteries.
Unprotected lithium batteries do not have the circuit board. They expend 3.6 volts output for the duration of use. Once the battery is mostly drained, the output falls dramatically. If these batteries are discharged below 3.0 volts, you run the risk of ruining them and rendering them useless. For that reason, these batteries require close monitoring to ensure that this doesn't happen. An unprotected vaporizer battery needs to be charged with a charger that is specifically made for your battery, as they are designed to not overcharge them.
It is highly recommended that you use protected batteries, but if you insist on using unprotected vaping batteries, it is imperative that your charger is made for them. If it isn't, you are at risk of incinerating or melting your batteries or wiring, which may cause your vape mod battery to explode, which, of course, is what you are aiming to avoid.
18650 batteries are often regarded as one of the best choices out there. Named for its dimensions, the 18650 has a diameter of 18mm, and the 650 is just the height in tenths of millimeters. The makings of a great battery encompass the following four things:
High Capacity. You want batteries that have a higher capacity, as this directly correlates to how long you can vape on your electronic cigarette or vape mod.
High Current Rating. It is imperative that you choose the battery that delivers the proper current that your device needs, and not just the battery with the highest rating.
High Voltage. This delivers a "harder hitting" vape that doesn't drain your battery nearly as quickly.
To keep your batteries from overheating, as well as prolonging their overall life, you want a battery that can stay cool during use.
As 18650 batteries typically are the best vape batteries for most regulated devices, there are many companies who make and distribute them so you are not limited in your choices.
Here are a few quick tips to consider regarding your battery and charging it:
There are two different types of vape mods--regulated and unregulated. Regulated mods are what can be typically bought in any brick and mortar store, or online. They are ready to use as soon as you have your vape batteries, and atomizer. Regulated mods come with a chip inside that does the math for you, using Ohm's law to convert voltages and ohms to wattages. This is the recommended way to vape, as it is much safer and less susceptible to human error.
Unregulated mechanical mods, also known as mech mods, are mods that do not have the chip that does the math for you. Instead, the user is responsible for calculating the amperage of the e cigarette battery, the proper voltage setting, and the right amount of Ohms needed to achieve the best results. If you are not an experienced hobbyist with a deep understanding of Ohms law, you run the risk of overworking your rig and causing a malfunction, or worse, ecig battery venting. Users of unregulated mods will often stack batteries which can be highly dangerous if done improperly.
If you insist on using unregulated, or mechanical mods, battery safety should be at the top of your list of things to learn. It is best to label your batteries "A" and "B" before charging them. You must always charge and discharge these batteries together. Always, always place battery A in the left hand slot of the charger, and battery B in the right side. When you take the batteries out to place them into your mod, you will want A and B to still be in the left and right spots respectively, identical to how they were in the charger. This is called marrying the batteries and must be done to ensure the safety of your mechanical mod.
Bottom line: it's best to stick to regulated mods, as they can deliver great results without the additional danger of doing incorrect math and exploding your vape mod.
Sub-ohming is the vaping style in which you vape with an atomizer whose coil resistance reads below 1.0 Ohms, hence the term "sub." Vapers like to sub-ohm as it gives them denser, larger clouds, better flavor, and a warmer vape. The heat is spread out over a bigger area, letting more e-juice be vaporized at once. You must use the appropriate high drain battery type when you sub-ohm; because as previously stated, sub-ohming requires more power. Choose the batteries wisely as with any other vaping style.
There are a few high drain batteries that you can choose from. You can find these vape batteries for sale in most shops, as well as online. These are a few of the recommended ones:
- Sony US18650VTC5. Boast 30 amps and 2600 mAh and are regarded as some of the best on the market.
- LG HB6 18650.Pack up to 30 amps of continuous discharge along with a rating of 1500 mAh.
- LG 18650 HD2.Commonly used, and give a discharge of 25 amps and 2000 mAh.
- LG INR 18650HG2. Regarded as possibly the best vape battery for sub-ohming, they offer 20 amps and are rated at 3000 mAh.
- AW IMR 18650. These have a safe chemical composition with 20 amps and 2200 mAh.
If you aren't comfortable with the ins and outs of ohms law, sub-ohming can be dangerous, just like with unregulated mods. You run the risk of harming your vaping mods or yourself, and giving those against vaping even more of a reason to use against vapers. Be sure you are comfortable with the necessary knowledge before you begin sub-ohming.
With so many variations of batteries and an equal variety of vape battery mods, it can seem daunting to learn about what vape battery you need in a way that helps you to truly understand and be safe.
Vape pens are primarily used as a cleaner alternative to smoking. When you smoke tobacco, or another material, it involves combustion, the burning of a material. The smoke given off during combustion contains the aromatic essences of whatever you're burning, but it also contains many impurities. Vaping releases vapor, not smoke, through vaporization, not combustion. Vapor is much cleaner than smoke produced from the same material. For example, when you burn herbs in the form of a cigarette, the resulting smoke is 88 percent impurities with 111 different chemical compounds present.
Each vaporizer pen has its own specific setup, but all include three components: a battery, a heating chamber or tank, and a mouthpiece. Materials are placed inside of the tank or heating chamber. When the vaporizer is turned on, the battery provides power to heat up a heating element inside of the heating chamber or tank. The heating element makes the material so hot that it reaches its point of vaporization, a key temperature at which the aromatic compounds in the material turn to gaseous vapor. When you put the mouthpiece to your lips and draw, the vapor leaves the heating chamber and travels through the mouthpiece.
Another point of confusion for some people is how a vape pen compares to portable and desktop vaporizers. The differences are as follows:
- Portable vaporizers are hand-helds that run on batteries or are powered by the heat from a flame or by butane. They can vary in size, from very large units that are nearly as powerful as desktop vaporizers, but that run on batteries, to smaller, pocket sized designs that are intended for use on the go. Typically, a vape is called a portable vaporizer if it does not run on electricity and cannot be classified as a vape pen.
- Desktop vaporizers use electricity to power their heating elements. These vapes are large in size and are intended only for home use. They are very powerful and generally the most expensive vaporizer option.
- Vaporizer pens are compact, pocket sized devices that are designed specifically for use outside of the home (although they can be enjoyed at home, too). A vaporizer pen is easily recognizable by its pen shape, and this type of vape runs on batteries. Technically, a vaporizer pen is also a portable vaporizer, but you'll most often hear a vape that fits the description of a pen categorized as a pen rather than as a portable vape or portable vaporizer.
To see our 2 simple steps guide on what to look for when choosing the right vaporizer, click here.
There are some distinctive benefits to buying a vaporizer pen for your vaping needs, including:
Although the benefits of vape pens are many, you should know that there are a few downsides to choosing one instead of other types of vaporizers. Some of the drawbacks of vape pens include the fact that they are:
If you are still not sure on what to consider when buying a vaporizer, click here.
Conduction Vaporizer pens transfer heat directly to the material. The heating chamber is set up so that the material is in contact with the heating element. A conduction vaporizer gets hot very quickly, but it can cause uneven heating. This is because the material closest to the heating element receives much more heat.
Convection Vaporizer pens work due to heated air. In the heating element in a convection pen, there is space between the heating element and the material; there is no direct contact. Instead, the air in the heating chamber gets hot and then passes through the material. A convection vaporizer can take longer to get hot, but it will typically provide a steadier stream of vapor and more even heating of material.
To read more in detail, see here; Conduction vs Convection vs Combustion
All in all, a vape pen can be a better choice of vaporizer for someone who is new to vaping, or for a more experienced vapor enthusiast who wants to be able to enjoy dry herbs, waxes, or oils anywhere with ease. If you'd like to see vaporizer buying guide, please click here. You can also check out our selection of all types of vaporizers at VaporPlants.com store or contact us for answers to specific questions.
Here's a brief look at the history of the vaporizer pen:
- 1960s: Although vaporizer pens are only now becoming popular, the idea for a smoke-less cigarette can be traced back to an inventor named Herbert Gilbert, who patented a primitive e-cig back in the 1960s. At that time, the dangers of smoking were only beginning to become understood, so people weren't very interested in the concept.
- 2003: During the early 2000s, a Chinese pharmacist went on a mission to find a safer alternative to smoking after losing his father to lung cancer. This man, Hong Lik, invented the first modern e cig, which began to be sold in 2003 by Ruyan, a Chinese company.
- 2006: In 2006, a new e-cigarette technology called a cartomizer was invented, now allowing e cigs to produce more vapor and hold more e juice or e liquid.
- 2007: The first vaporizer pen debuted this year. The device was made in California and was an herbal vape pen used for vaping dry herbs.
- 2009: The first wax pen was made by Delta 9. At this point, vape pen designs really took off with many new brands emerging on the market. Today, there are dozens of manufacturers offering many different styles of dry herb, wax, and oil pen products.
By following these guidelines, you can safely take the next step in vaping --as with any hobby or lifestyle, safety comes first. Carefully consider these recommendations, and happy vaping!